Requirements for Residency Eligibility
Residency eligibility for certification by examination applies to:
- Graduates of CFPC-accredited family medicine residency programs who have successfully completed a minimum of 24 months of training
- Successful graduates of postgraduate family medicine training programs in jurisdictions where the standards for accreditation of postgraduate family medicine training are judged comparable and acceptable to the CFPC
Approved jurisdictions with equivalent accreditation standards for family medicine training include:
- United States of America: Graduates of family medicine residency programs that have been accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
- Australia: Graduates of Australian General Practice Vocational Training programs that have been accredited by the Australian Medical Council (AMC) and meet the standards of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
- Ireland: Graduates of general practice vocational training schemes that have been accredited by the Irish College of General Practitioners (ICGP)
- United Kingdom: Graduates of general practice vocational training programs that have been accredited by the General Medical Council (GMC) and who meet the standards of the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP)
In order to be considered for residency eligibility all candidates must:
- Be registered with the College of Family Physicians of Canada as a resident member. *
- Have completed a medical degree and acceptable accredited postgraduate training in family medicine as described above.
- Residents must be recommended to the CFPC by the dean for postgraduate medical education and the postgraduate director of the Department of Family Medicine or by the institution’s equivalent officers.
- Residents are eligible to sit the examination if they have successfully completed 18 months of a 24-month or 30 months of a 36-month of acceptable accredited postgraduate training in family medicine as describe above, or they have no more than 6 months of training to complete at the time they sit the examination.
- All credentials (e.g., medical degree, postgraduate training) relevant to confirming eligibility for the Certification Examination that were obtained outside Canada must be successfully source verified by the Medical Council of Canada (MCC) Physician Credentials Repository (formerly known as PCRC) physiciansapply.ca at least eight weeks prior to the examination date. Please refer to detailed instructions.
* Please ensure your membership fees are paid and up-to-date well before the exam application deadline since membership payments can take up to 72 hours to process. You will not have access to the exam application if you have outstanding membership fees. Late exam applications will not be considered.
Before certification is awarded to a residency eligible candidate,successful completion of training (a minimum of 24 months) must be confirmed by the postgraduate dean and the postgraduate director of the Department of Family Medicine for CFPC-accredited family medicine residency training programs, or by the physiciansapply.ca for all other acceptable accredited programs. All training requirements, including duration of training, must be completed within three years of successfully passing the certification examination.
Apply for the Examination